- sci-hub.tw - Open access to millions of scientific papers
- libgen.io - Open access to millions of books
- custodians.online - A quick summary of why sites like Sci-Hub and Libgen exist and the challenges they face
- calibre-ebook.com - Converts ebook files for compatibility with Kindles
- apps.ankiweb.net - A tool for memorizing anything using spaced repetition of flashcards. Michael Nielsen writes about it in his essay on augmenting long-term memory.
- khanacademy.org - Free interactive educational material, mainly targeted towards high school level
- ourworldindata.org - Data & research about long-term global change
- core-econ.org - Open access economics textbook
- explorabl.es - Collection of explorable explanations on various topics
- redblobgames.com - Deep explorable explanations on computer science topics relevant to gamedev
- gwern.net - Essays about many unusual research subjects
- spaciecat.github.io/cells - Explorable
LIFE & MENTAL HEALTH
- 80000hours.org - Research on what makes a fulfilling job. Main conclusion is that salary is important but only up to a certain point, after which doing work that helps others matters a lot.
- woebot.io - Chatbot app that teaches you CBT and mindfulness techniques. You check in with your mood each day and it encourages you to reflect on why you feel as you do.
- ourworldindata.org/mental-health - A global overview of how prevalent mental health conditions are and the risk factors involved. Useful perspective for how individual struggles fit into the big picture.
- typescriptlang.org - My favorite web development language. The types give you full object property autocompletion and make it easier to reason about code, especially as the complexity of a project increases.
- netlify.com - Fantastic modern web host centered around static site building
- jamstack.org - Summary of the JAMstack, my preferred way of doing web development
- unity3d.com - Popular game engine mainly based on C#. A neat thing about the predominance of Unity is that many games can now be easily decompiled from the .NET assembly to read their source.
- jetbrains.com/decompiler - .NET decompiler. The C# output it produces is easily readable in most cases.
- adventofcode.com - Daily programming puzzles from the start of December until Christmas each year. I did all 25 days in 2018 with a friend and had a great time.
- stackoverflow.com - Remember that you can answer your own questions on SO, so you can use it as a public searchable repository you dump knowledge into.
- stackoverflow.com/jobs - Companies pay Stack Overflow so they can advertise jobs here. They're usually pretty high-quality positions.
- jobs.github.com/positions - Companies pay GitHub so they can advertise jobs here. At least last time I did hiring, it was easier and cheaper to advertise on GitHub than it is on SO.
- research.net - Service for conducting user surveys, used by GitHub
- axdraft.com - Tool for drafting legal documents
- autodeskresearch.com/publications/samestats - Shows how data visualization can reveal trends that summary statistics totally miss, by generating very different datasets with identical statistical properties
- timeanddate.com/sun/uk/oxford - Sun graphs for different areas of the world
- graphics.wsj.com/infectious-diseases-and-vaccines - Heatmaps showing dramatic falloff of infection rates after introduction of vaccines
BULK DATA SOURCES
- data.worldbank.org - Major source for research on global development. Hundreds of time series indicators by country.
- unstats.un.org - UN data covering various topics including population growth, SDG indicators, gender equality
- fao.org/faostat - Food and agriculture data by country going back to 1961
- transitwiki.org/TransitWiki/index.php/Publicly-accessible_public_transportation_data - Index of public transportation data for cities around the world
- bls.gov - US Bureau of Labor Statistics
- gapminder.org/test - Gapminder's test for misconceptions about the world. It's remarkable how easy it is to not know this stuff!
- citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.368.8509&rep=rep1&type=pdf - Self-discipline outdoes IQ in predicting academic performance of adolescents
- apa.org/practice/guidelines/transgender.pdf - The APA guidelines on best practice psychology for working with transgender and gender nonconforming people. Useful reference for discussions with people who respect scientific inquiry but aren't as familiar with LGBT issues.
- dartmouth.edu/~nyhan/nyhan-reifler.pdf - Attempts to correct political misconceptions by presenting contrary evidence in the wrong ways can backfire and make people even more resolute
- citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.395.886&rep=rep1&type=pdf - People are more likely to believe statements if they are presented poetically
- blog.ncase.me/the-most-meaningful-books-i-read-in-2018 - Nicky Case makes a list of the most meaningful books they read each year
- patrickcollison.com/bookshelf - Patrick Collison's reading list
- gwern.net/Book-reviews - Gwern's super long list of book reviews
- goodreads.com/user/show/81203600-jaiden-mispy - My Goodreads account
NICE WEB DESIGN
- pudding.cool - Super fancy embedded datavis articles
- distill.pub - A machine learning research journal that makes good use of interactives
- lateralmag.com - Online science magazine, lots of artistic illustrations
- seeing-theory.brown.edu - Beautiful online textbook about probability and statistics
- wanikani.com - Adorable slightly animated landing page
- nkwiatek.com/experiments/ascii - ASCII gas physics simulation
- tea.fncombo.me - Lovely little filterable mobile-friendly personal tea collection app
- monzo.com - Modern online bank for UK residents, I know people with good experiences